If you need to refund a customer or guest, follow the below steps. The process is a bit different depending on the method of payment that needs to be refunded.
► Refunding Credit Card Payments
► Refunding 3rd Party CC or Terminal Payments
► Refunding a Check or Cash Payment
► Refunding a Gift Certificate Payment
► Related: How to Issue a Gift Certificate in Place of a Refund
Customers that have paid with a credit card in ThinkReservations via your currently configured payment processor will show the card type followed by the last four digits of the card and the payment status.
The payment type will be "Credit Card".
1) Open the bill that has the payment that needs to be refunded. Move your mouse over the payment, and note the orange Refund link that shows up just to the right of the payment type. (If it says "Void", read below.)
2) Click on Refund and enter the amount that you wish to refund the customer in the box to the right. For example, if you need to refund a guest $45.80 then enter: 45.8
If your only option is to Void and not refund, it is because the transaction is still pending settlement. You can only refund money to a customer that has settled successfully with your payment processor. Please Void the transaction and run for the correct amount if you have the opportunity to.
3) Click Apply.
4) If you wish, you can contact your guest and email them an updated bill.
Please note that refunds can take 7 to 10 business days to process back on the originally charged card, depending on the customer's bank.
In the below example, we have a remaining balance of negative 211.15. This indicates that you owe the customer, or that the customer has overpaid due to a change in the reservation. The $211.15 was then refunded to the customer, bringing the remaining balance to $0.00.
If the customer paid outside of ThinkReservations or with a "Third Party Credit Card Processor" then you should use that system to refund the customer. Otherwise, you can credit the customer another way. Then you can indicate within the bill that you have refunded the customer to keep the bill accurate.
To record a refund from a "Third Party Credit Card Processor" or "Terminal" payment refund the customer with the system they were charged with, and then in their bill in ThinkReservations create a new payment of the same type, but in the negative.
If you need to refund a Cash or Check Payment, follow the below steps.
1) Open the bill that has the Cash or Check payment that needs to be refunded.
2) Hover your mouse over the payment and click the orange Refund link that is revealed just to the right of the payment.
3) Enter the amount to refund (without a dash/in the positive) in the Amount to refund box.
For example, if you need to refund $500 from a customer's check payment, enter 500 in the text box to the right.
4) Enter an optional note in the Ref # box.
5) Click Apply. The bill will be updated.
6) It is up to you if you are going to write a check in the amount of a refund or give cash back. If giving cash back, we recommend you use the method below.
If you are going to be sending the customer a check or giving the customer cash back, follow these steps to record the refund in ThinkReservations.
This is done when the customer pays with another payment method, but you want to issue the refund with cash instead of a return/refund on a credit card payment or a refund on a gift certificate.
1) Open the bill that needs to have a refund by method of check.
2) Click NEW PAYMENT and choose "Check" or "Cash" as appropriate as the payment type from the drop-down selector.
3) Change the date on the left if you need to show this refund on a date other than today.
4) Enter the check number and/or a short note in the Ref# box.
5) Enter the amount of the check in the negative by typing a dash before the amount. This indicates that the funds will be a refund. If giving the customer cash back, enter the amount of cash given back to the customer.
For example, if you are going to send the customer a check for $100, enter -100 in the Amount box.
6) Click Save to record the transaction.
The Bill will be updated.
If a payment was made with a house certificate that exists in ThinkReservations follow the steps below to put the funds back onto the certificate and update the bill.
1) Open the bill that needs to be refunded.
2) Click NEW PAYMENT and choose "Gift Certificate" from the drop-down selector.
3) Enter the gift certificate code into the text box and click the green Check button to validate the code/number.
4) Enter the amount to refund in the negative by typing a dash before the amount. This indicates that this is a refund.
Note -- The funds will be put back onto the Gift Certificate with this action.
For example, if you need to refund or negate $207.33 from a gift certificate payment enter -207.33 in the Amount box.
5) Click Save to record the transaction.
The bill will be updated.
In the above example, the remaining balance of the certificate was $0, as all $250 of the certificate was applied. Making a new payment with a negative fixed the bill to a $0 remaining balance and put $207.33 back onto the certificate. Now the remaining balance of the certificate is $207.33