A rate type allows you to manage your rates and restrictions across a specific set of rooms. rate types are mapped directly to the rates the business would like to offer. For example, if the business wants to offer a Best Available Rate, an Early Bird Rate, and a AAA Rate, you would configure three rate types, respectively.
A rate type applies to a set of rooms. Additionally - restrictions, customer group and coupon codes, deposit policy, package items, and Yield Management are all configured on a rate type. This allows greater flexibility and allows you to do some interesting things (such as configuring your Early Bird rate type with a 100% deposit and your Best Available Rate with a 50% deposit).
Rate types can be configured by going to the Settings page and clicking on Rate Types. Once there, you can create or update a rate type.
Rate Type Properties
NAME: The name of the rate type. This will be shown on the external booking engine to the customer to distinguish rate types.
The NAME must be unique among your other rate types.
DESCRIPTION: The description of this rate type. This is displayed to the guests in the online booking engine.
QUALIFIER: Allows the customer to qualify into a rate type. These are global settings for the entire rate type.
- If a Customer Group of 'AAA' is configured, a customer would need to indicate he is a AAA member on the online booking engine to see this rate type.
- If a Coupon Code is configured, a customer would need to input the coupon code on the external booking engine to see the rate type.
- If your MINIMUM NIGHTS is set to 2, only guests searching for at least two nights will see the rate type.
- If your MAXIMUM NIGHTS is set to 2, only guests searching for at most two nights will see the rate type.
ROOM TYPES: Rooms that are selected will be associated with this rate type. The room types with unchecked boxes will not be available to this rate type.
DEPOSIT TYPE: This deposit strategy will be associated with this rate type. You can choose a Percentage, Number of Nights, or a Flat Fee.
IS THIS RATE TYPE A PACKAGE?: You can add items automatically to the reservation as a package that will include the room and any number of other items. Click the green Add button to add items to the bill.
Add and configure the package items with the below parameters.
- ITEM - Choose from the drop-down the item to add to the reservation.
- DEFAULT PRICE - This is the programmed price for the item. If you don't override the price, this is how much the guest will be charged for the item.
- OVERRIDE PRICE? - You can configure a new price. Negative values are allowed.
- FREQUENCY - The fulfillment date for the item. Choose between first, last, or every day.
- PER GUEST? - The item can be automatically added once per guest. Choose Yes or No.
- To remove an item, click the X at the end.
Rates & Restrictions
Seven restrictions can be configured, although typically a business will only configure a subset of these:
- Price: Prices are required. If the price is not configured, the room-rate type combination will not be bookable by either the internal or external booking engine.
Related: Setting Rates
- Minimum nights on arrival: If a customer is arriving on a date that has minimum nights on arrival set, they must meet the minimum nights indicated. If reservations have been made that make the minimum nights infeasible, then the minimum nights will automatically be adjusted. For example, if Friday has minimum nights on arrival set to 2, then someone who tries to book a room on Friday must stay at least two nights. If Saturday is already reserved, then the minimum night on arrival for Friday will automatically adjust to 1.
Related: Setting your minimum nights
- Maximum nights on arrival: A customer arriving on a date that has maximum nights on arrival set must stay no more than the maximum nights indicated.
- Minimum nights through: If a customer is staying on a date that has minimum nights through set, they must meet the minimum nights indicated. If reservations have been made that make the minimum nights infeasible, then the minimum nights will automatically be adjusted. For example, if Friday has minimum nights through set to 3, then someone who tries to stay Thursday and Friday must stay at least one more night. If Wednesday and Saturday are already reserved, then the minimum night through for Friday will automatically adjust to 2.
Related: Minimum Nights on Arrival vs. Minimum Nights Through
- Maximum nights through: A customer staying on a date that has maximum nights on arrival set must stay no more than the maximum nights indicated.
- Closed on arrival: XA: Customers cannot check-in on a date that is closed on arrival. Guests can still stay through this day, but not arrive on days you have this set.
- Closed on departure: XD: Customers cannot check-out on a date that is closed on departure. Guests can still stay through this day, but they cannot check out on days you have this set.
Using the Calendar to set your pricing/rates and your restrictions
The Rate Type Calendar makes it easy to set your restrictions across many rooms and dates. There are three ways to configure rates and restrictions using the Calendar:
- Click directly on the value you want to change. This gives you a text box where you can change the restriction for that specific room-date pair.
- Click multiple cells that you want to change. You can also click and drag to select multiple room-date pairs. Use the plus sign + near the edge of the boxes to select.
- Use the Simple Select tool. The Simple Select tool lets you choose across two years of dates and rooms. This is the easiest option for setting bulk restrictions.
- If you've selected multiple cells or used the Simple Select tool, you will want to click on the Modify button to change the values.